Our taste in leadership is determined by our appetite.

I am very dissatisfied with the election outcome. I am obviously in the minority, but I do not believe that electing someone who has the ability to talk qualifies him for leadership. I am uncertain as to why a nation would embrace an individual whose greatest accomplishment to date has been a book, or books, about him. It is beyond me why we would put someone in office who approves the killing of unborn children and who would approve judges who will legislate from the bench, one who has forsaken his role as a Senator for two years in order to convince us that he needs to have the most powerful position in the world, and one who has spent approximately one-half of a billion dollars to convince us of his merits during a time when our nation is in great financial stress and danger. (We would need no convincing if he were truly qualified.)

Since the United States has drifted from a republic to democracy, we have become a nation that is the path towards destruction. We are now a nation of sound bytes, of polls, of rhetoric that harnesses the masses’ opinions, and the masses are all about themselves.

The greatest generation is slowly leaving the reigns of leadership to the selfish generation, and the selfish generation has now elected one of their own. We now have a president who has promised more than he can possibly deliver, but we do not care because his promises were all about us.

I have done what I could and have voted for the candidate I thought would be best capable to lead our nation. I was outvoted and, the United States and I as a citizen will be civil in the change of leadership. I will support our new leader as long as he does not conflict with the dictates of our God. I will pray for our new leader and all our government leaders, for their decisions will set an environment in which we will need to operate. Mostly, I will pray for our leaders because that is the proper response for a Christian.

As I look at the slate of candidates that have been selected, I realize that the heart of the king is in the hand of the Lord and like rivers of water He moves them where-so-ever He wishes (Proverbs 21:1). I understand that my hope has never been in government or in human leadership, but in God Almighty and that has not changed. I realize, that in the end I will not judge those in leadership of this nation, but God will, and His judgments’ will be accurate, so I am to pray that they will make the right decisions and stand before God clean.

I am not called to start a rebellion, but I am called to die to myself, to love God and my neighbor, and to pray for my leaders, and I shall do that. I do not serve an angry God but a loving God who wishes all to come to repentance. I serve One who demonstrates power through weakness, obedience, and death to self. So that must be the goal.

So, to President elect Obama, I wish you and your family well. I pray that God will grip your heart and soul and that you would be impressed with the task you have been given and that you would humble yourself before God Almighty and seek His face as you lead this nation. And, may all those who make decisions concerning this nation be humbled by their position, awed by God’s power and responsive to His love and Spirit.

So be it.

Joel 2:12-13 (ESV)
12 “Yet even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;
13 and rend your hearts and not your garments.” Return to the Lord, your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love; and he relents over disaster.

Proverbs 21:1 (ESV)
1 The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One day, we answer to God.

It is good that God does not depend upon our ability, faith, or goodness

Hope in a King?